Praying Aright – Dr. Ayo Ajim
James 4:2-3 NLT, Eph6:18 NIV
Introduction: it is possible to pray amiss. There are different kinds of prayer and praying in the spirit is a sure way of praying right as the spirit helps us.
many continue with religious acts not results oriented actions.
James 5:16 says to pray, not gossip or backbite, for one another . Prayer can be effectual and right and, or amiss. Pray according to the principles that govern prayer and you get results.
Different Types of Prayer:
- Prayer of demand (Matt7:7,John 16 :24) what ever you ask in my name it shall be done. This is based on what we know is willed already for us
- Prayer of Petition (John 14:13-14, Mark 11:24) whatever you ask the father in my name it shall be done.
- Prayer of Praise and worship (Hebrews 13:15 & Revelation 4:11)
- Prayer of Thanksgiving.
- Prayer of intercession( Daniel9:1-27, Heb7:25. – Christ also makes intercessions for us).
- Prayer of travail to birth (Galatians 4:19).
- Prayer of Agreement (Matt. 18:19).
- Prayer of consecration- or Christian service let this cup pass from me if it be thy will ( Matt. 36:39,42). Praying what God wants for me is vision, praying in service to God what I want, is ambition.
- Prayer of binding and loosing( Matt 16:19, Matt. 18:18).
- Prayer of the Holy Spirit ( Romans 8:26-27).
- Prayer is not answered based on the length, duration or intensity. Prayer in faith is the key (James 5:13-16).
- Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Prayer is the umbilical cord that connects the will of God in heaven with our experience here on earth. God’s will does not happen on.
- We ignorantly blame God for our malady and misfortune on earth sometimes. There are wicked men, the devil who is vile and wicked and our deleterious life choices that are responsible for most adverse effects and mishaps. God wills good things for us 3 John 1.
- 1 john5:14-15 NKJV come freely and boldly to Him. He is to you all that you need Him to be.
- When Jesus taught the disciples to pray, He said saying “our father” knowing I can not ask our daddy anything that will be detrimental to my sibling.
- “Which art in heaven” -He is positionally higher than us and not limited. Do not confuse Him with your earthly father.
- “Hallowed be thy name” every effective prayer starts with giving God what he wants , praise and thanksgiving and ends again with thanks giving and praise.
- Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Then give us this day our daily bread. Your desire can come then. After you put him first.
- Forgive when you stand in prayer as your forgiveness is to the extent that you forgive.
Dear Holy Spirit help us in praying aright, and help us to pray to existence our Father’s in Jesus name.